Making Sense of Your BMW Warning Lights
Your BMW dashboard warning lights are designed to keep you safe, and it’s essential to recognize when you’re in need of immediate assistance! We’ve put together a quick overview of the BMW warning light symbols, so you can drive with confidence on the roads near Sewell and Philadelphia.
BMW Dashboard Warning Lights: Color Coding
Looking for a quick way to categorize the BMW warning light meanings? In most cases, red or yellow lights indicate a problem that requires attention, either immediately or in the very near future.
However, you might also encounter BMW dash warning lights in blue or green. These usually just indicate that one of your features or systems is currently active, and you don’t have anything to worry about.
BMW Dash Warning Lights to Watch Out For
If you ever have questions about one of your BMW warning lights, you can always call us at (855) 708-7748 or reach out directly online. However, there are a range of lights that indicate serious or semi-serious issues, and you should be able to identify each on your own:
- Check Engine Light: a yellow light shaped like an engine could indicate something small, like a loose gas cap, or a larger problem, like a worn-out spark plug.
- Service Vehicle Light: If you see a car, boxed in, with the work SERVICE above it, you’re either due (Yellow) or past-due (Red) for BMW service.
- Oil Change Light: In general, the Service Vehicle light will tell you when you need to get an oil change. If you see an oil lamp dripping fluid, it means your levels are dangerously low, and you should add more as soon as possible.
- Engine Overheating: If you see a thermometer over two identical waves, it means that your engine is too hot. A coolant tank will appear if the system has determined that you’re low on fluid. (Just make sure to let the engine cool before you try to open the hood.) If you notice smoke coming from your car, check here to see whether or not it’s related to your internal temperature.
- Safety Belt Warnings: If you see a seated figure that’s wearing a seatbelt, either the driver or the front passenger needs to be secured. If you see a seated passenger with no seatbelt, it means that someone in the rear is missing their belt.
- Airbag or Seat-Belt Tensioner: What if the passenger in the warning light is turned to the side? Is there a red circle directly in front of them? This indicates an issue with your airbags, or with your seatbelt pre-tensioners.
- Brake Warning Lights: There are several BMW warning lights related to your brakes. The first simply displays the letters “PARK,” and shows that your parking brake is engaged. If you see the letters “ABS,” your Brake Assist feature may be malfunctioning. The word “BRAKE” in red indicates a potentially serious problem with your brake system. You should know how to check your brake fluid manually, too.
- Brake Pads Worn: A final brake-related BMW warning light symbol relates to your pads. It’s time to schedule service and get them replaced if you see a circle ringed by broken parentheses.
- Steering Issues: If you see a steering wheel next to an exclamation mark on your dashboard, you’ll want to get your steering system checked out as soon as possible.
- Tire Pressure: Your vehicle’s tire pressure monitor will go off if it senses that you’re low on air, or overfilled. If it appears in yellow, your tires are low on pressure. A red light indicates a rapid deflation, meaning it’s time to change a tire.
- Dynamic Stability Control: This light should be on, whether your Dynamic Stability Control feature is currently active or not! If it’s off, you’ll see the word “OFF” beneath the symbol.
- Battery Issue: An issue with your BMW battery is indicated by a small + or – sign next to a box that resembles your battery. Get service before you require a jump start.
Complete Your Service Needs at BMW of Turnersville
No matter what issue you’re facing, the team at BMW of Turnersville is here to help! Check out our service specials and coupons to save on necessary work, or explore our service tips and tricks to find out what you can do from home in Williamstown or Sicklerville.
Learn More with BMW of Turnersville
It’s hard to beat the versatility of a BMW SUV. They come with plenty of space for you and your family to spread out on Philadelphia drives. Best of all, opting for a new BMW means that you’re getting plenty of performance for your drives. With that being said, we’re excited to introduce you…
The 2023 BMW X5 interior is stylish, roomy, and loaded with state-of-the-art features like a premium Harman Kardon® Surround Sound Audio System and a large panoramic moonroof. BMW of Turnersville looks forward to introducing you to everything this luxurious SUV offers. Read on to learn more about the BMW X5 interior, its design, and interior dimensions, then…
The new BMW 7 Series is a true luxury sedan that’s designed to maximize your comfort on the Philadelphia roads. However, if you’re looking to make the switch to an electric vehicle, you’ll want to opt for the new BMW i7. Order a New BMW i7New BMW Electric Vehicle Inventory The 2023 BMW…